9 October 2020
COR-NTD Pre-session: Measuring the impact of NTDs on disability, morbidity, stigma and mental ill-health
This session will explore the current evidence base of the interactions between chronic ill-health, disability, stigma and mental ill health as well as focusing on the currently available tools for measuring associated burdens. We will seek to identify and prioritise actions and strategies to progress measurement of stigma, disability and morbidity in NTDs, particularly those affecting the skin.
- The personal cost of Buruli. A patient’s perspective — Emmanuel Jackson Agumah, BUVA Foundation Ghana
- Considering relationships between NTDs, mental health and disability in Sub-Saharan Africa: evidence from a scoping review/examples of using photovoice to capture perceptions of wellbeing of people affected by NTDs in Nigeria — Ms Shahreen Chowdhury, LSTM
- Stigma and impact on mental wellbeing in leprosy and LF: evidence from recent field studies in Nepal and Indonesia — Dr Wim van Brakel, NLR
- Measuring the burden of stigma in skin NTDs and other skin diseases in Cote D’Ivoire — Dr Rie Yotsu, Japan
- Understanding the impact of impact of reduction of skin barrier function in Tropical Lymphoedemas on disability burden – lessons from podoconiosis — Professor Paul Matts, UK